In this Dell laptop tutorial we are going to show you how to install and replace the Motherboard on your Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. These installation instructions have be made into 17 easy to follow printable steps. We have also create a video tutorial that shows you how to install your Dell Inspiron 1545 Motherboard.
Before you begin
Please take the time read the following safety guildlines when working on static sensitive electrical componets.
Dell repair manual service precautions
Tools needed for this laptop repair
- 1 x small phillips head screw driver
- 1 x small plastic scribe
Video tutorial repair manual
Installation and Removal Instructions
Dell Inspiron 1545 Motherboard
- Remove the battery.
- Unscrew the 4 screws holding the Bottom Base Access Cover and remove the cover, starting from right to left.
- Carefully dislodge the cables until they are completely loose from the base.
- Remove the (2) 2.5mm x 5mm hinge screws from the base of the laptop.
- Remove the (11) 2.5mm x 5mm screws on the base of the laptop.
- Remove two 2mm x 3mm screws that hold the 1545 center control power button cover to the base of the computer.
- Turn the computer over (as if you were typing on it), and fully open the display (approximately 180 degrees, or as far as possible).
- Lift and unsnap the 1545 center control power button cover using a small flat head screw driver or a plastic scribe from the backside of the computer, from right to left. **Be very careful removing it because the plastic can be fragile.
- Unscrew the (2) 2.5mm x 5mmscrews above the keyboard and gently lift up the keyboard to reveal the ribbon cable. Be careful lifting the keyboard because it is very easy to cause damage to the ribbon cable or the motherboard connector. (If the motherboard connector breaks, it is very hard to find replacements for them without replacing the entire motherboard.)
- Lift the keyboard cable connector latch and remove the keyboard ribbon cable and keyboard.
- Display Assembly
- Loosen the LCD display cable from motherboard the by pulling up on the tab.
- Loosen the camera cable from the motherboard.
- Pull the WWAN and WLAN cables through the motherboard paying close attention to the routing, once again.
- Unscrew (2) 2.5mm x 3mm wafer screws on the left hinge.
- Unscrew (2) 2.5mm x 3mm wafer screws on the right hinge.
- Lift the display form the base.
- Remove the (1) 2.5mm x 3mm wafer and (4) 2.5mm x 5mm.
- Unplug and loosen the bluetooth cable.
- Unplug and loosen the power button cable.
- Unplug the touchpad cable.
- Remove the 1545 touchpad palm rest by lift up on the edges and the in the center until it is dislodged.
- Unscrew the (3) 2mm x 3mm screws that hold the 1545 Express Card Slot Assembly on the base.
- Lift the Express Card Slot up to remove it off of the motherboard.
- Unscrew the 4 remaining screws that hold down the motherboard. (2) 2mm x 3mm and (2) 2.5mm x 5mm screws.
- Unhook the speaker cable, fan, and USB Cable.
- Gently pull the motherboard out of the base by lifting the right side first.
- The motherboard part number is located on the front of the motherboard under the touchpad palm rest.
Read Related Articles
- Dell Inspiron 1545 LCD Cable Removal and Installation
- Dell Inspiron 1545 LCD Inverter Removal and Installation
- Dell Inspiron 1545 Parts & Repair Manual Index
- Dell Inspiron 1545 Parts List
- Dell Inspiron 1545 DC Power Jack / Usb IO Circuit Board Removal and Installation
- Dell Inspion 1545 CPU Cooling Fan Removal and Installation