In this Dell laptop tutorial we are going to show you how to install and replace the Motherboard on your Dell XPS M1330 laptop. These installation instructions have be made into 27 easy to follow printable steps. We have also create a video tutorial that shows you how to install your Dell XPS M1330 Motherboard .
Before you begin
Please take the time read the following safety guildlines when working on static sensitive electrical componets.
Dell repair manual service precautions
Tools needed for this laptop repair
- 1 x small phillips head screwdriver
- 1 x small flat head screwdriver
- 1 x small plastic scribe
DIY Discount - Parts-People.com offers 5% off to all DO-IT-YOURSELFERS!
Use this coupon code to save 5% off these parts
Video tutorial repair manual
Installation and Removal Instructions
Dell XPS M1330 Motherboard
- Flip the laptop over and slide the battery clip to the left.
- Slide the battery away from the laptop.
- Unscrew the wifi door retaining screw.
- Lift the door from the base.
- Unscrew the (1) 2.5mm x 5mm screw.
- Loosen the 3 memory door screws.
- Lift the memory door off of the base.
- Unplug the wireless card antenna cables.
- Unscrew the (1) 2mm x 3mm wireless card retaining screw.
- Slide the card out of the slot.
- Separate the memory clips and remove the memory.
- Unscrew the (4) 3mm x 3mm hard drive screws.
- Slide the hard drive out of the laptop.
- Unplug the cooling fan.
- Loosen the 5 heat sink screws.
- Lift the heat sink/fan away from the motherboard.
- Turn the CPU locking screw counterclockwise to loosen the CPU.
- Lift the CPU away from the motherboard.
- Installation note 1: Make sure to replace thermal compound or thermal pads on the CPU and heatsink.
- Installation note 2: Tighten the heatsink screws in the order listed on the heatsink.
- **This image is used only as an example.**
- On the bottom of the laptop, loosen the wireless antenna cables and unscrew the 2.5mm x 5mm left and right hinge screws.
- Remove the (6) 2.5mm x 5mm screws on the bottom of the laptop.
- Unscrew the (2) 2mm x 3mm screws below the battery.
- Open the laptop screen as wide as possible.
- Carefully lift the Center Control Media Buttons Cover away form the base. You should start unsnapping it at the LCD display side being careful not to lift to fast so the cable doesn’t break.
- Leave the Center Control Media Buttons Cover loose.
- Unscrew the (2) 2mm x 2mm x 7mm wafer screws holding the keyboard to the base and gently flip the keyboard over. Be cautious, lifting the keyboard with the cable connected, it is possible to break the latch if you pull it too hard.
- Carefully lift the cable latch and unhook the cable.
- Carefully slide the Power Button Cover cable latch and remove the Power Button Cover Cable.
- Lift the Power Button Cover from the laptop.
- Remove the 2mm x 3mm Bluetooth screw.
- Unplug the Bluetooth cable.
- Unplug the Power Button cable.
- Disconnect the Camera cable, the LCD Display cable, and pull the wireless antenna cables through the motherboard.
- Unscrew the 2.5mm x 5mm left hinge screw.
- Unscrew the 2.5mm x 5mm right hinge screw.
- Lift the LCD display assembly away from the laptop base.
- Remove the (3)2.5mm x 5mm screws an the top of the palm rest.
- Remove the (4)2mm x 3mm screws.
- Unplug the touchpad ribbon cable.
- Lift the palm rest away from the base.
- Remove the Lift the optical drive out and disconnect it from the motherboard. (4) 2mm x 3mm screws.
- Unplug the Cmos battery from the motherboard.
- Separate the Cmos battery from the base. It will probably be glued down, so you will have to pry it off.
- Unplug the speakers.
- Unplug the WiFi Catcher Switch cable.
- Unscrew the (2) 2.5mm x 5mm motherboard screws.
- Unscrew the 2mm x 3mm motherboard screw.
- Lift motherboard away from the base.
Read Related Articles