In this Dell laptop tutorial we are going to show you how to install and replace the Palmrest Touchpad Assembly on your Dell Inspiron 6400 / E1505 laptop. These installation instructions have be made into 10 easy to follow printable steps. We have also create a video tutorial that shows you how to install your Dell Inspiron 6400 / E1505 Palmrest Touchpad Assembly.
Before you begin
Please take the time read the following safety guildlines when working on static sensitive electrical componets.
Dell repair manual service precautions
Tools needed for this laptop repair
- 1 x small phillips head screw driver
- 1 x small plastic scribe
DIY Discount - Parts-People.com offers 5% off to all DO-IT-YOURSELFERS!
Use this coupon code to save 5% off these parts
Video tutorial repair manual
Installation and Removal Instructions
Dell Inspiron 6400 / E1505 Palmrest Touchpad Assembly
- On the bottom of the laptop, slide the battery latch to the right and lift the battery out.
- Remove the 2.5mm x 8mm screw.
- Using a screw driver slide the optical drive out of the laptop.
- On the bottom of the laptop remove the (13) 2.5mm x 8mm bottom base screws.
- On the back of the laptop remove the (2) 2.5mm x 8mm Hinge screws.
- Open the laptop display as far as possible.
- On the right side of the power button, place a flat head screw driver into the slot and carefully pry up the power button cover.
- Remove the (2) 2.5mm x 5mm screws.
- Carefully lift the keyboard up and place it onto the LCD screen to reveal the keyboard cable connection.
- Pivot the keyboard cable latch up and remove the cable.
- Unplug the wireless antenna cables.
- Loosen the LCD cable ground screw.
- Unplug the LCD cable.
- Loosen the LCD cable and antenna wires from the routing channels.
- Remove the (2) 2.5mm x 5mm hinge screws.
- Lift the display assembly from the laptop base.
- Loosen the palm rest captive screw. It is attached to the palm rest so you will not be able to fully remove it.
- Unplug the touch pad cable and the stand by switch.
- Carefully unsnap the palm rest from the laptop base.
Read Related Articles
- Dell Inspiron 6400 LED POST Codes Diagnostic Indicators
- Dell Inspiron 6400 E1505 LCD Screen and Cable Removal and Installation
- Dell Inspiron 6400 E1505 LCD Back Assembly Removal and Installation
- Dell Inspiron 6400 E1505 LCD Bezel Removal and Installation
- Dell Inspiron 6400 E1505 Motherboard Removal and Installation
- Dell Inspiron 6400 E1505 Speaker Removal and Installation