In this Dell laptop tutorial we are going to show you how to install and replace the Hard Drive on your Dell Inspiron 15R (N5010, M501R, M5010) laptop. These installation instructions have be made into 10 easy to follow printable steps. We have also create a video tutorial that shows you how to install your Dell Inspiron 15R (N5010, M501R, M5010) Hard Drive.
Before you begin
Please take the time read the following safety guildlines when working on static sensitive electrical componets.
Dell repair manual service precautions
Tools needed for this laptop repair
- 1 x small phillips head screwdriver
- 1 x small flat head screwdriver
- 1 x small plastic scribe (optional)
DIY Discount - Parts-People.com offers 5% off to all DO-IT-YOURSELFERS!
Use this coupon code to save 5% off these parts
Video tutorial repair manual
Installation and Removal Instructions
Dell Inspiron 15R (N5010, M501R, M5010) Hard Drive
- Slide the battery locking latch to the unlocked position.
- Slide the battery latch over and the battery out of the laptop.
- Loosen the door screw.
- Remove the door from the base.
- Remove the (4) 3mm x 3mm hard drive screws.
- Remove the 2.5mm x 5mm screw.
- Dell has given notice that some of the models will not use keyboard screws, some will have only 1, and some will have 2. The other optional screw location is above the name plate on the bottom of the laptop.
- On the bottom of the laptop, remove the 4 screw covers.
- Remove the (7) 2.5mm x 5mm bottom palm rest screws.
- Turn the laptop over and open it up.
- Using a scribe or a flat head screw driver, press in the 4 latches that allow the keyboard to lift up.
- Carefully lift up the keyboard and turn it over.
- Unplug the keyboard cable.
- Remove the keyboard from the laptop.
- Remove the (5) 2.5mm x 5mm palm rest screws that are under the keyboard.
- Unplug the 3 palm rest cables.
- Carefully unsnap the palm rest from the laptop.
- Lift the hard drive and connector out of the laptop.
- Slide the connector off of the hard drive.
Read Related Articles
- Dell Inspiron 15R (N5010) Beep Codes Diagnostic Indicators
- Dell Inspiron 15R N5010 M501R M5010 Right Side DC Jack IO Circuit Board Removal and Installation
- Dell Inspiron 15R N5010 M501R M5010 Speaker Removal and Installation
- Dell Inspiron 15R N5010 M501R M5010 CPU Processor Removal and Installation
- Dell Inspiron 15R N5010 Heatsink Fan Removal and Installation
- Dell Inspiron 15R N5010 M501R M5010 Motherboard Systemboard Removal and Installation