In this Dell laptop tutorial we are going to show you how to install and replace the Motherboard on your Dell XPS 14 (L421x) Ultrabook laptop. These installation instructions have be made into 17 easy to follow printable steps. We have also create a video tutorial that shows you how to install your Dell XPS 14 (L421x) Ultrabook Motherboard.
Before you begin
Please take the time read the following safety guildlines when working on static sensitive electrical componets.
Dell repair manual service precautions
Tools needed for this laptop repair
- 1 x small phillips head screwdriver
- 1 x T5 star screwdriver
- 1 x small plastic scribe
DIY Discount - Parts-People.com offers 5% off to all DO-IT-YOURSELFERS!
Use this coupon code to save 5% off these parts
Installation and Removal Instructions
Dell XPS 14 (L421x) Ultrabook Motherboard
- Remove the 6 base screws.
- Remove the 2 screws under the XPS placard.
- Carefully lift the base cover off of laptop and unplug the battery indicator cable.
- Unplug the battery.
- Unplug the unplug the speaker cable.
- Remove the 4 speaker screws.
- Remove the speakers.
- Remove the 6 battery screws.
- Remove the battery.
- Separate the memory clips and remove the memory.
- Unplug the wireless antenna wires.
- Remove the wireless card screw.
- Remove the wireless card.
- Loosen the 4 heatsink screws and carefully remove the heatsink.
- Installation note 1: Make sure to replace thermal compound or thermal pads on the CPU and heatsink.
- Installation note 2: Tighten the heatsink screws in the order listed on the heatsink.
- **This image is used only as an example.**
- Unplug the fan.
- Remove the fan screw.
- Lift the tape off of the SSD Solid State Drive.
- Remove the SSD Solid State Drive Screw.
- Remove the SSD Solid State Drive.
- Unplug the SSD SD circuit board ribbon cable.
- Unplug the SSD SD circuit board I/O cable.
- Remove the 4 hard drive caddy screws.
- Carefully lift the hard drive and unplug the connector.
- Unplug hard drive connector cable.
- Unplug the LCD display cables.
- Unplug the 4 motherboard cables.
- Remove the 6 motherboard screws.
- Lift the motherboard away from the laptop base.
Read Related Articles
- Dell XPS 14 (L421X) Beep Codes Diagnostic Indicators
- Dell XPS 14 (L421x) Ultrabook Touchpad Mouse Buttons Removal and Installation
- Dell XPS 14 (L421x) Ultrabook Touchpad Palmrest Removal and Installation
- Dell XPS 14 (L421x) Ultrabook Keyboard Removal and Installation
- Dell XPS 14 (L421x) Ultrabook LCD Display Assembly Removal and Installation