Usually, building your own PC tower meant you had to have at least a moderate level of knowledge about computer parts. I mean, who wants to pick out hard drives, tower cases, and other components, just hoping they would fit together and not start a fire? For those of us who like to customize our belongings while keeping it simple, Acer has the perfect modular PC for us. Built using add-on “blocks”, which include speakers, a projector, and wireless charging dock, the Revo Build Series is an attempt to revitalize the growing modular market, which, since Google's Project Ara, we hadn't heard much about.
Wired describes it as “stacking a bunch of coasters on top of one another”, and really, it's almost that simple. We also got the rundown of what's inside this thing. The Revo Build Series starts as a 5 x 5 x 2-inch base, with an Intel Celeron or Pentium processor with integrated graphics inside, as well as 8GB of RAM, a 32 GB SSD, Ethernet, HDMI, a DisplayPort, 3 USB 3.0's, and an SD card slot for connectivity.
Did I even mention this thing is magnetic? That is what makes installing each unit so easy. The magnets start on the base box, and then you can build your components from there. Acer showed off some of its parts to PC Mag, including a hard drive block (500Gb or 1TB), a graphics card block, an audio block, power block, and also a wireless charger block where your smartphone can just sit on top of for charging. As you can imagine, each box has its own set price, depending on what its contents are. They're apparently manufactured by Acer, and can operate on their own without the base PC.
$225 seems to be the determined price to start. The Revo Build Series runs Windows 10 and is expected to become available across Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and China in the coming months (The Next Web).
Read Related Articles
- AMD Has New Ryzen CPUs Promising to Directly Compete With Intel, in Both Specs and Price Tags
- Dart-C Adapter – 4 Times Smaller Than What We’re Used to, so Leave That Brick at Home
- Remote Wireless Charging for Your Phone, as in Truly Wireless, Is Yours With the MotherBox
- Would You Believe Your Own Eyes If You Saw a Teensy 7-Inch Laptop, Sporting Intel Atom and 8GB of RAM?
- HP’s New X360 Spectre 15 Is Discrete yet Svelte 2-In-1, Large and in Charge
- MSI’s GS63VR Stealth Pro- a Lightweight Speedy Gaming Laptop That’s Going to Make Waves